After a long hiatus, the podcast is back! We do hope you’ve been following us on Instagram, where we’ve been active and sharing great stuff.
In this episode, we’re chatting all things American Families Plan!
The American Families Plan would make historic investments in our children:from investments in child care and early learning programs, all the way to college education, as well as direct payments and tax credits.
The American Families Plan includes $1.8 trillion in investments and tax credits for American families and children over ten years.
Our guest is Katie Hamm, the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Early Childhood Development, at the Office of Early Childhood Development in the Biden Administration.
Diana and Katie discuss:
– The Child Tax Credit and making it permanent
– How the AFP will help families with a 0-5 childcare plan
– a federally funded universal 3K and UPK.
– “How are we going to pay for all this?”
PARENTS TELL YOUR STORIES!
Diana and Katie also discuss the importance of seeing child care as not only a personal issue, but a societal issue. Katie urges parents to talk about child care:
For a long time in this country we considered child care a personal issue, you had to figure it out by yourself You didn’t really talk about it.
It’s really important for parents to speak up, that they talk to their friends and neighbors , that they talk to people in their community about what investments in child care would mean for them and their family.
LISTEN TO EPISODE 45 below, or wherever you listen to your podcasts:
If you need more information about the American Families Plan, please visit WhiteHouse.gov/AmericanFamiliesPlan
Here is some additional information:
- Office of Child Care
- COVID-19 Resources and Information (for child care providers)
- Local resources on child care, health and social services, financial assistance, support for children with special needs, and more: https://childcare.gov/state-resources-home
- COVID-19 Guidance for CCDF Programs & Policy Makers
- ARP Act Child Care Stabilization Grants
LISTEN TO RELATED EPISODES: